Tuesday, October 14, 2008

We have arrived in Kiev - finally!










Today has been full of surprises. First, we get to Pearson to find out our plane was delayed 1 hour (Ok, not the end of the world). Then we had a plane and all ready to board, but no crew (another 45 mins delay). This started to make us wonder. Our lay-over in Frankfurt was 2 hours. This could get tight. Enroute, they announced that those people with connecting flights will get instructions in the terminal once we arrived, whether that was hurry up or sorry, we booked you on another flight was unknown. This could have been a problem as Lufthanza only flys to Kiev once daily. Luckily we got our connection.



The quick turn around did not go without casualties (one lost piece of checked luggage). But all is good, we have everything we need for this week.



Victor and Igor were patiently waiting (they let me know it was an hour and a half) outside the terminal and took us to our appartment, a local restaurant, the grocery store and bank (yes in that order!). So after visitting the bank, Lisa and I were able to walk back to the grocery store, the appartment and the restaurant all on our own.



Our appartment is clean and located about 100 m from Independence Square (the center of Kiev). We have uploaded a couple of pictures of our apartment.

We have not slept for about 27 hours, and Lisa is doing better then I am. We are heading out for dinner and a walk around the square. Cheers.

5 comments:

Ego said...

Great start, the real adventure.
We are watching on you
Good luck Lisa and Andrew
Igor Vassine

Px3+2 said...

oh my goodness you guys - I had it on my calendar that you were leaving on the 16th.... I tried calling your house and Lisa's cell a hole bunch of times before I thought that maybe I had it wrong....
I have tears in my eyes as I write this because I so wanted to wish you luck and love before you left!....
Paul, Pichu, and I are SO excited for you and are thinking of you every step of the way and sending you every bit of love and excitement that we have plus so much more - keeping blogging!.... what an amazing time in your lives - hold it close, this is what life is all about.... I can't wait to meet your little one!!! kisses and hugs!!! ann

Natalia said...

Wow! So much already!
I like the pictures of the apartment, reminds me a bit of Baba's for some reason. Glad to hear you've made it okay. Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how it all works out!
Ya Tebe lubu!
Natalia

LaurelandChrisandDanielandGracie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LaurelandChrisandDanielandGracie said...

Lisa and Andrew,

Relieved to hear that you have arrived safely. Love the apartment-it seems very cozy. We know that you are probably soooo tired and yet soooooo excited, anxious, nervous, etc..... We have been thinking of you since you left on Monday and wonder what and how you are doing. Hope you are able to get some sleep tonight - our thoughts are with you tomorrow. Can't wait to hear the details.

P.S. Told Daniel you were on a trip and he wants to know how the beach is. Gracie says hello - she was waving at your picture, Uncle Andrew.

All our love,
Laurel, Chris and the kidlets